| print this
Anonymous history in your area
Dallas Intergroup History
Dallas Central Office had its first Board meeting and was
open for business on September 18, 1947. At that time there
were only two AA groups in the area. The Central Office
was located on Akard Street in the Davis Building. It was
a musty old office, a little cluttered, but filled with
AA caring. Dick P. was the director. He suffered physically
from Jamaica Ginger poisoning during Prohibition days, but
it didn't stop him from answering the phone, coordinating
12-Step calls or sharing with a friend or stranger over
a cup of coffee. He even sold some literature.
location of the office changed a few times over the next
several years, but always stayed in the Downtown Dallas
area. In the late 50's Lester F. hired Merl ("a perfect
lady") to run things. According to Lester, she kept
the place "real clean and orderly" during the
time she worked there.
1968 a reorganization meeting was held. The
Central Office became an Intergroup Office
operating under the guidance of the AA Groups, which numbered
8 or 9 by then. A local member then loaned the Intergroup
$2,000.00 to buy literature from AA World Services, Inc.
1989 the Intergroup incorporated and became Dallas Intergroup
Association, a non-profit organization. From that small
beginning in 1947, we now serve over 100 AA groups in Dallas
and its suburbs. A full range of committees are headed by
members of the Board of Trustees. The include Cooperation
with the Professional Community, Treatment Centers, Public
Information, and Correctional Facilities. The Groups make
all decision on their services at the Representative's meetings
and the Board decides all fiduciary policy and business
decisions regarding the Office. In April 2000 the Intergroup
office once again became known as the Dallas AA Central
Office. This change was made to better describe the function
of the office to potential newcomers.
© Dallas AA Central Office
Dallas Intergroup Association
All Rights Reserved.