Alcoholics Anonymous History In Your Area
Dallas Intergroup History
The Dallas Central Office had its first Board meeting and was open for business on September 18, 1947. At that time there were only two AA groups in the area. The Central Office was located on Akard Street in the Davis Building. It was a musty old office, a little cluttered, but filled with AA caring. Dick P. was the director. He suffered physically from Jamaica Ginger poisoning during Prohibition days, but it didn’t stop him from answering the phone, coordinating 12-Step calls, or sharing with a friend or stranger over a cup of coffee. He even sold some literature.
The location of the office changed a few times over the next several years, but always stayed in the Downtown Dallas area. In the late ’50s, Lester F. hired Merl (“a perfect lady”) to run things. According to Lester, she kept the place “real clean and orderly” during the time she worked there.
In 1968 a reorganization meeting was held. The Central Office became an Intergroup Office operating under the guidance of the AA Groups, which numbered 8 or 9 by then. A local member then loaned the Intergroup $2,000.00 to buy literature from AA World Services, Inc.
In 1989 the Intergroup incorporated and became Dallas Intergroup Association, a non-profit organization. From that small beginning in 1947, we now serve over 100 AA groups in Dallas and its suburbs. A full range of committees is headed by members of the Board of Trustees. They include Cooperation with the Professional Community, Treatment Centers, Public Information, and Correctional Facilities. The Groups make all decisions on their services at the Representative’s meetings and the Board decides all fiduciary policy and business decisions regarding the Office. In April 2000 the Intergroup office once again became known as the Dallas AA Central Office. This change was made to better describe the function of the office to potential newcomers.
Copyright © Dallas AA Central Office
Dallas Intergroup Association
All Rights Reserved.
— http://www.aadallas.org/ —